Sunday, December 23, 2018

Loving Thy Neighbor

We were walking towards our ancestral village and as always I felt a lot of joy. The difference was that this time we were pilgrims. Some of our family was there to receive us. 

While we were entertained in my cousins new built home I heard an old lady asking our whereabouts. Later I discovered that she was our neighbour staying next door. In the next 24 hours we heard different people responding to her in high pitch rude tone and trying to ignore her. Later I discovered that the new home where we were staying in once belonged to her. All her life she has stayed alone and her extended family takes care of her basic needs. Her home looked shabby and dark. Her thoughts are little repetitive and random. She doesn’t step out of her house ever. May be that is why people called her mad. I was not really sure if that was the case. 

In the evening me and Swara thought of spending some time praying in silence. This is when Swara taking the neighbour along. I definitely had resistance as I was looking for some quiet time. But her intention changed my mind. One reason definitely was to bring her out of the four walls but the subtle intention was to reconnect her to life - to the river, with the mother (referring to Narmada river). Swara shared that we might not be able to do much, may be just share some maitri (loving kindness) and who knows grace might flow through her. 

All three of us sat in silence and watched the sun set while hearing some prayer bells ringing in some temples. 

May we all become compassionate and wise  :)

Signing off from Sinor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The heart is the true kabba:)

Before we started our walk we went to  Brahma Vidhya mandir , Pavnar to seek blessings from the elders some of whom have walked thousands o...