Saturday, December 15, 2018

Our first meal




After our family's traditional farewell, we walked from Nilakanteshwar Mahadev toward Nikora. People kept guiding us and shared blessings wherever our feet halted.

Around 11, I felt some sensation in my stomach, and this sensation is the oldest association we have I feel - I was feeling hungry. While trying to watch my thoughts, I saw this huge banyan tree beside, which was a small not so organized space. As soon as I reached in front of that place, I had a feeling we might get food there.

Additionally, this massive tree was a great invitation for some rest. I paused there for a while, smiled at the gift of nature, and started walking ahead. As I looked back to see where my co-pilgrim was, I saw her precisely at the same spot where I was standing a few minutes ago, and across the road, I saw a monk waving his hand to call me. And I smiled thinking of how when we are connected to ourselves and nature, we tune into these invitations.

I realized that even after receiving the invitation, part of me resisted it because of my ego not asking or receiving. I thank him for inviting us. What a blessing it was to have lunch with him. Most of the time, we were silent, and the only thing he kept saying was, khao ma deti hai tum khao. (Eat, Mother Narmada, gives, so just eat).


He later shared that while he cooks for himself, he cooks in a way that 2-3 more people can also eat. It was interesting to see that in about an hour, we saw so many people walking in. Some people came to receive the Prasad like we did; some came to give him food or some material so that he can serve more people, and all the time, he kept saying it was all Mother Narmada doing it. It was beautiful to witness such faith - that an urban mind might look at the faith in the river, but actually the faith to walk in the unknown and the heart to surrender.

While sitting near his chulha (handmade mud stove), I could see the whole dance of giving and receiving happening here, where he was so effortlessly juggling all that he was receiving into effortless giving without taking any credit. After serving us food, he prepared beds for us to rest and started making tea for others walking behind us. So no concept of pausing or a break.

While we took leave, he said on your way, you will find many places to stay and many people with various experiences; just take things that will make your heart happy.

"Just keep the faith, tension nai hai ( do not feel tensed) Narmade har" were his last words to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The heart is the true kabba:)

Before we started our walk we went to  Brahma Vidhya mandir , Pavnar to seek blessings from the elders some of whom have walked thousands o...