Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Little Guiding Stars

Rohit with the little kid he is taking care of. 
When we reached Ram mandir at Sulgav we saw a teenage boy holding his grandmother's hand and gently taking her somewhere. He saw us entering the temple and quickly ran to get a plastic sheet for us to sit on and rest. He is then busy answering questions of other pilgrims. He makes quick runs to a nearby shop and gets things for pilgrims. He takes us to the place where lunch was being served. In between he is also playing and taking care of another kid younger to him:)

His name is Rohit and is in class 7. Swara calls him and asks about the grandmother. He said she is blind and she wanted to go to the temple so was just helping her out. We asked him how about serving all of us, why do you do that? He said, you are doing something good. You are serving river Narmada and I am serving all of you.

This little tot was in his school uniform so we inquired what was his daily schedule like. He said "Before going to school at 10 am and after returning from school at 4 pm, I am at the temple. I will be late at school as the person who takes care of the temple and pilgrims has gone to the market. He gave me the charge to take care of everything till he is back. I will tell my teacher the same thing." :) As soon as the temple care giver came he took his school bag and ran off to school.

It was so amazing to see this kid tuning in with everyone and everything that was happening at the temple. We were struck by his gentleness, prompt response, mature conversation and his inclination to serve with so much love.

In the evening we met eight year old Shyam. Before responding to any of our questions he would
Shyam my little teacher. 
take these little pauses. We could sense his thoughtfulness and the genuine sharing. 

We were having dinner and he was partly sitting with us and partly watching television. I was telling Swara that the food was a little spicy for me. 

Shyam who was still looking at the screen told me as a matter of fact, “you eat what you get and some day if you don’t get anything you just eat a packet of biscuit and sleep, that is how it is when you are in a pilgrimage”. I did not expect anything like this coming from a kid, but yes my youngest teacher was telling me to just go with the flow. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

The heart is the true kabba:)

Before we started our walk we went to  Brahma Vidhya mandir , Pavnar to seek blessings from the elders some of whom have walked thousands o...